1. When is the Department of Motor Vehicles open?
  2. How do I get a driver's license?
  3. Can I exchange my out-of-state license for a NYS license?
  4. How do I keep my driver's license up-to-date while in the military?
  5. How do I change my address or name on my driver's license?
  6. How do I become an organ donor?
  7. Does my ATV require registration?
  8. Does my boat require registration?
  9. How do I get a disabled parking permit/license plates?
  10. Can I apply for a passport at my local DMV?
  11. We didn't answer your question? Click Here.
  12. Do I need to make an appointment to surrender my license plates?

When is the Department of Motor Vehicles open?

The Broome County Department of Motor Vehicles Office Hours are:
81 Chenango St, Binghamton: Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m
137 Washington Ave, Endicott: Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m, Saturdays 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.

Although appointments are still strongly encouraged, the Binghamton and Endicott DMVs are welcoming walk-in customers Monday - Friday.

  • All of our mobile DMV offices are taking Walk-in's only.
  • All in-house testing (permits and CDLs) are first come, first served, no appointments.

Please visit to book your appointment today! Those without computer access should call (607) 778-6513 to schedule an appointment in Binghamton or (607) 754-2147 to schedule an appointment in Endicott. If you leave a message, someone from the DMV will call you back within 72 hours. The return call may be from a 518 area code.


How do I get a driver's license?

The process to apply for a non-commercial driver's license in NYS includes the following steps:

  • Apply for a learner's permit. Pay the application fee and the driver's license fee. Pass the vision test and the written test. Receive your permit.
  • Practice for your road test.
  • Take a driver education course or a DMV-approved pre-licensing course.
  • Use your driver education certificate or pre-licensing course certificate to make an appointment for your road test by phone or on-line.
  • Pass your road test and receive your NYS driver's license.

Important Links concerning driver's licenses:

Can I exchange my out-of-state license for a NYS license?

You can exchange an out-of-state driver's license or Canadian driver's license for an NYS driver's license if the driver's license has your photograph, the driver's license is not suspended or revoked and the driver's license:

  • has been valid for at least 6 months, or
  • has not expired in the past 12 months, or
  • is a valid CDL and has been valid for any amount of time.

How do I become an organ donor?

Enroll in the New York State Organ and Tissue Donor Registry:

  • Mark the box that indicates "Organ Donor" on your renewal application form for a driver's license or non-driver Photo ID (MV-2).

- or -

  • Mark the box that indicates "Organ Donor" on your application form for a new driver's license or a new non-driver Photo ID (MV-44).

The DMV will forward your information to the NYS Department of Health (NYSDOH), which keeps the records of the Registry. Contact one of the organ procurement organizations listed here to get more information. You can get an application to enroll in the registry at the NYS Donate Life Registry.

Does my boat require registration?

The law requires you to register any boat that is motor-driven and is operated on public waterways in NYS. The boat requires a registration even if the motor is not the primary source of propulsion. If you operate the boat in NYS, you must register the boat with the DMV. After you register your boat, you receive a registration certificate that indicates the registration number assigned to your boat and a set of registration stickers.

You must paint or attach the registration number to each side of the bow of the boat. The characters must be:

  • block letters not less than three inches high,
  • a color different from the hull and easy to see,
  • legible from 100 ft. away during the daylight hours,
  • the only number on the front half of your boat.

You cannot transfer the registration number to another boat.

The registration sticker shows the month and the year that the registration expires. Attach each sticker in line with the registration numbers on each side of the hull, and three inches toward the stern of the boat.

More information on NYS boat registration.

How do I keep my driver's license up-to-date while in the military?

Automatic Military Extension: A valid NYS driver's license is automatically extended when you are on active military duty. Your driver's license does not expire and is extended during your active service. Your driver's license is also extended for a maximum of six months after your discharge from military service. Complete form MV-75 (Military Service Notification) to inform the DMV to update your driver record. The DMV will keep your driver's record after the expiration date of your driver's license.

How do I get a disabled parking permit/license plates?

You and your healthcare provider can complete the application form MV-664.1. You also can have your healthcare provider (MD, DO or DPM) complete a statement on their letterhead. The statement must describe the disabling condition and verify that the disability qualifies according to the law. For a parking permit, bring the form or statement to your village, town, or city clerk. There is no fee for a permit. Remember that neither the DMV nor the County Clerk issues the parking permits.

How do I get vehicle plates for the disabled?

  • Bring the proof of your disability (either form MV-664.1 or the statement from your healthcare provider) and current vehicle plates to any DMV office.
  • Bring your proof of identity.
  • Complete the application form, pay $18.00, and surrender your current vehicle plates.
  • Vehicle plates for disabled persons are issued only for vehicles registered in the name of the disabled person.
  • Each disabled person can have one set of vehicle plates.

See this brochure for more Information on disabled parking.

Who is eligible for vehicle plates for disabled persons or a parking permit for disabled persons?

The NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law defines the permanent disabilities that qualify. If you have a permanent disability that qualifies, you can get vehicle plates for reserved parking from the DMV or a parking permit from your local government. It is illegal to park in a parking space reserved for persons with disabilities if you do not have the correct vehicle plates or parking permits. You can use the vehicle plates or parking permit in New York State and in most other states.

Does my All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) require registration?

An all-terrain vehicle (ATV) is any self-propelled vehicle that is manufactured for use on off-highway trails. These vehicles are less than 70 inches wide and weigh less than 1,000 pounds. You must register an ATV to drive the vehicle on public property or private property in NYS. An ATV that is only used for agricultural purposes or not-for-hire snow removal on private property does not require a registration. A registration for an ATV that was issued in another state to a resident of that state is valid in NYS.

To register an ATV in NYS, bring the following items to a DMV office:

  • Acceptable proof of ownership. (Read the information that appears below).
  • Proof that the NYS sales tax was paid or proof of the purchase price of the ATV. If you purchased the ATV from a dealer, the bill of sale from the dealer can indicate that the dealer collected the NYS sales tax. If you purchased the ATV from a private seller, the seller and the buyer complete form DTF-802 (Statement of Transaction for Sales Tax). You can also show your proof of exemption or proof that the tax was paid. (Get more information about sales taxes on DMV Forms.)
  • A completed form MV-82 (Registration / Title Application).
  • Proofs of your identity and your date of birth.
  • Cash, a check, or a credit card to pay the registration fee and the required sales tax.

Click here for more information on ATVs.

Can I apply for a passport at my local DMV?

No, due to a decision in Congress, the Motor Vehicle Offices are no longer permitted to process passport applications. You can apply for your new passport at the County Clerk's Office. Click here for more information.

Do I need to make an appointment to surrender my license plates?

No. You can drop your plates off in an envelope in any of our secure DMV drop boxes or at any of our physical offices without an appointment. Please don't forget the $1 plate surrender processing fee. Cash is fine. Your FS-6T receipt will be mailed to you.