Assistance Programs

Note: The NYDocSubmit app is available.

Assistance Division


The Assistance Programs Division is responsible for the administration of the benefits programs. These include SNAP (formerly known as Food Stamps), Temporary Assistance, Medicaid, Home Energy Assistance Program and Welfare to Work.

You can find more information about these programs at:


Food Stamps or SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) is a federally funded program administered by the Department of Social Services for the United States Department of Agriculture. The goal of the program is to provide a higher level of nutrition to income eligible individuals and families by enhancing their ability to purchase food.  

Eligibility for the program is determined by financial criteria. Those found eligible receive an EBT (electronic benefit card) which is scanned in any of 29 local grocery stores and farmers markets in Broome County.

More information regarding SNAP.

Temporary Assistance

Is the cash component of the Assistance Programs.  Consumers receive a cash benefit either paid to them or to a vendor to pay for specific household needs.  Household composition, resource and income levels will affect the amount of the shelter, heat, utility and other payments made for eligible families and individuals.

More information regarding Temporary Assistance.


Medicaid is a program that enables necessary health care coverage to eligible low income adults, children, pregnant women, elderly adults and people with disabilities in our community. The increasing numbers of elderly in the community as well as federal and state policy changes have continue to drive Medicaid caseload increases in Broome County as well as the NY State of Health Benefit Exchange.

More information regarding Medicaid.

Medicaid - Nursing Home/Chronic Care

Application assistance available.
No appointment required, walk-ins welcomed. 

More information regarding Medicaid for Nursing Home/Chronic Care.


The Broome County Social Services Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) is 607.778.1100. This is the Assistance Program’s Contact Center number. After you dial that number you press 8 to speak to someone in the HEAP unit M-F between the hours of 8am-4pm.

The emergency after-hours hotline number is 9-1-1. The Emergency Services Operator will direct your call.

More information regarding HEAP.

Employment Unit [formerly the Welfare to Work (WTW)]

Provides employment services including assessment, employment planning, job readiness classes, workfare, job placement, and case management for Temporary Assistance applicants and recipients.  

Employment services are offered at our Main Street office. We strive to connect all Temporary Assistance applicants and recipients with employment opportunities to help them obtain and maintain self-sufficiency.

More information regarding Employment Services.

2020 - 2021 Temporary Assistance (TA) and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Employment Plan

Changes to Child Tax Credit, IRS YouTube Video:


Additional Broome County Resources: 

Looking for other resources in Broome County? Click here to contact 211!


Child Abuse/Neglect 24 Hour State Hotline:  Toll free dial '1' & then...    800-342-3720